Tuesday, May 24, 2011

aeroplane food

I recently came back from a 6 week overseas trip to the USA, Europe/UK and Hong Kong - amazing!! So it would only make sense if I started this blog with an entry on aeroplane food...

As a kid, I was a huge fan of aeroplane food. I loved their individualised portions (are all these little containers for meeee??) and that you could get 3 courses on one simple tray. My dad knew that I liked the food so much that he even took home a plastic meal tray from Ansett for me. At home I would place Dupo blocks on this tray (each block representing a meal) and prance around my soft toys giving them Dupo blocks as if I was serving them lunch.

Here's some pictures of my plane food over the years. Pictures were taken from airlines including: Emirates, Cathay Pacific, Qantas, Thai Airways, Austrian Airlines etc.
Sadly, my naivety of processed plane food flew out the window (no pun intended) in my 2010/11 overseas trip. I thought that it was just my expectations changing – loving all food as a child to having health concerns as a young adult. But no – the food really did get worse. My photographs don’t gives this thought justice but I’ll give it a go:




















The ones on the left were eaten in 2008ish and the ones on the right were eaten in 2010/11. Okay, the newer ones look a bit nicer, but the older set of dishes were so much tastier, fresh and used real wholesome ingredients, rather than thickening agents such as corn flour...

Nevertheless, I'm still excited about aeroplane food - its a mixed bunch where you can get really nice stuff and the not so nice. I love travelling via cities that I will not actually visit and seeing how the airline tries to pack 'culture' onto a plastic tray, a few containers and carbs :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...