Friday, June 3, 2011

urban pantry

My flatmate has a Entertainment Book for Canberra - the entertainment book has heaps of vouchers on restaurants, take away joints, leisure activities, hotels etc. You can save a whole lot of money with the book (but you have to pay money to get the book itself). Anyway, her book had a voucher for Urban Pantry in Manuka, so we went there and got almost 50% off our dishes. The restaurant/cafe is trendy and casual. Going to the place, I loved the feel of it - the decor reminded me of times in Germany when I explored an underground wine cellar (altho urban pantry is ground level and very open/airy) or what it'd be like to explore a huge pantry. It'd definitely be a trendy place for lunch... or a cafe style dinner.
 
I got braised chickpeas and seasonal vegetables with Moroccan spices & a side of polenta chips and my flatmate got a special, which was spinach and ricotta cannelloni. The chickpeas were heaps spicy, and they were clearly different from the chickpea salads you'd get as takeaway - the flavour was more bodied and spices were more fresh. but there was nothing spectacular about it that would make me pay the full price for the meal. The polenta chips, on the other hand, were amazing and I wish I could snack on them constantly. My flatmate's meal was okay too... I'd have to commend them on making cannelloni in a way that wasn't too messy and could actually be picked up with a fork. However, we both knew that we could replicate and improve on this dish at home.

Urban Pantry
5 Bougainville St
Manuka ACT

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...