Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Yuppie?

Earlier in the year, I was enjoying a cafe lunch in Canberra on a sunny weekend. We were talking about our families who owned businesses, gossiping and critiquing the cafe's food. Then one of us dropped the 'yuppie' description upon us. Do I really live in the yuppie culture?

I decided to ask my trusty guides: Wikipedia and Urban Dictionary.

According to one definition in Urban Dictionary, I'd probably be classified as a yuppie: "Acronym for Young Urban Professional... Usually congregate in... Whole Foods, Trader Joe's, and a wide variety of vintage clothing boutiques. Includes both moderate Liberals (Majority of yuppies), and moderate Conservatives (smaller group of yuppies), although both the far left and the far right enjoy dissing them."

However, I highly doubt I fall into Wikipedia's definition: "Yuppies are made fun of for their conspicuous personal consumption and obsession over social status among their peers, which is seen as vain and materialistic."

People around me have always associated yuppies with latte-sipping people with toasted focaccias living in the Inner-West of Sydney (the trendy/cool part), or frequenting this area. Maybe Wikipedia/Urban Dictionary need to be amended or maybe the term 'yuppie' is up to individual interpretation or maybe the term is thrown around too easily and it's meaning has become more 'inclusive' of a range of people.

ANYWAY... to farewell one of my good friends who is leaving for New York, we caught up for breakfast at the Kawa Cafe in Surry Hills. It was a balmy Saturday morning, there were tables on the side walk and the food was really good.

We got the Vegan Breakfast, a Salmon toasted sandwich and... *drum rolls* an amazing poached pear and vanilla bean smoothie. The ingredients were fresh and reminded me how good food can be. I can't put it all into words. And plus I'm hungry and tired now, so I'll leave it at that.

FANTASTIC cafe that you could miss if you blinked. Highly recommended :).

Kawa Cafe
348 Crown Street
Surry Hills NSW 2010


And walking around Paddington, we came across a few food stalls - one of my favourite things to stumble upon :)

1 comment:

  1. wow it looks fancy! like like like
    Some people feel uncomfortable when they can't seem to categories you.
    I agree moderate conservatives do get picked on.
    Go the poached pear frappe... yum...

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...